The short answer is no! It can sometimes be a little uncomfortable but a properly trained artist will be able to numb you effectively. Brows are arguably the first thing you notice when you look into somebody’s eyes. With the proper frame and balance, brows portray emotion and feelings. The shape and size of our eyebrows can enhance our features and add attractive symmetry to our faces.
Thinning and sparse eyebrows are an unfortunate reality of the consequences of aging, plucking, and waxing. There are ways to forestall this harsh reality, but most of the methods are short-term solutions like makeup for thinning and sparse eyebrows. Another problem with makeup is that it needs to be applied regularly and it can smudge off at the most inconvenient of times. Enter the world of microblading and permanent makeup.
Microblading makes it possible to get the perfect arched eyebrow. Microblading can give you fuller brows if you have thin or patchy eyebrows. Microblading results can last anywhere from 1-2 years. So is microblading painful and does it involve needles? Let’s look at some of the frequently asked questions about microblading.
What Is Microblading?
Microblading is not permanent compared to eyebrow tattoos. Microblading uses tattooing techniques to provide semi-permanent makeup that creates fine hair-like strokes to fill in thinning or sparse eyebrows. The eyebrow restoration specialist uses a hand-held pen to draw precise strokes that look like real hair. Microblading creates a perfectly natural finish that requires minimal upkeep to maintain that gorgeous look.
How Long Does Microblading Take?
A typical microblading session takes about 1-2 hours to complete. The microblading artist uses a special pen that contains between 6 to 14 microneedles on its tip. The eyebrow artist will first design the shape of the eyebrow to compliment the person’s face and bone structure before using the pen to fill in the gaps.
Microblading is a two-process procedure. The first session will be longer than the second session. The first session is when most of the microblading treatment takes place. The second session is usually scheduled 4-8 weeks from the first session and it is meant to cement any strokes that have not healed properly and to address other inconsistencies that may have come about. At the touch-up session, you can ask your brow artist to go a little darker or bigger if needed.
Waxing or threading eyebrows is a form of treatment that needs to be repeated after every three to four weeks. Microblading is a form of semi-permanent technique and the effects of microblading can last anywhere between 12 to 36 months.
Healing Time After First Session
It takes about 30 days for the pigment to settle properly in the skin but at around day 10 your brows will look almost perfect and you will start to receive compliments. During this time, before the second session, the eyebrow specialist will give you specific instructions to care for your eyebrows and get the best results.
Some of these instructions are:
- Do not pick or scratch the eyebrows as the scabs of skin flake off. The area will be itchy and scratching can cause an infection and uneven healing.
- Keep your eyebrows dry for the first week. This means baths instead of showers and staying away from the beach, swimming pools, hot tubs, and saunas.
- Do not expose your eyebrows to the sun. The sun will fade your new brows.
- Do not use any kind of makeup, moisturizer, or serums on your eyebrows until all the flaking is done.
- Do not use facial scrubs, masks, or chemical peels around the eyebrow area.
How Long Does Microblading Last?
The microblading procedure is similar to a tattoo but the final result is not completely permanent. The fine lines drawn by the microblading expert are meant to fade in about 1 to 2 years. The longevity of the treatment depends on several factors such as exposure to the sun, your skin type, and the way you follow the after-care instructions once the procedure is completed. A touch-up is not as expensive as the actual microblading but it will help keep your microblading looking fresh and beautiful.
Is Microblading Painful?
Microblading should not be painful. A topical numbing cream is applied to the brow area before the microblading procedure begins and then a secondary liquid anesthetic is applied that will make the entire procedure completely painless.
Preparation Tips For Microblading Eyebrows
Start preparing for the microblading procedure by following these basic tips:
- Avoid excessive exposure to sun or tanning treatments.
- Avoid waxing, tweezing, or threading your eyebrows.
- Avoid all kinds of chemical facial treatments.
- Avoid all forms of Botox treatment for 1 month.
In addition to these basic tips, it is recommended to stop using vitamin A or retinol treatment at least one month before the microblading procedure. Follow these instructions shortly before the microblading procedure to avoid the risk of bleeding during the treatment.
- Do not consume alcohol for at least 24 hours before the treatment.
- Avoid caffeine on the day of the treatment.
- Do not take Aspirin or Ibuprofen or blood-thinning medications at least 5 days before the treatment. Tylenol is OK.
- Avoid taking fish oil supplements and vitamin E oil supplements 5 days before the treatment.
Who Should Avoid Microblading Their Eyebrows
Some people are just not suitable candidates for microblading. The following people should not microblade their eyebrows:
- If you are pregnant or nursing.
- If you are under the age of 18.
- People with an active viral infection.
- People with active diabetes.
- People who have used Accutane in the last 12 months
- If you are on chemotherapy.
Consult A Microblading Expert
Choose a professional microblading expert that is right for you. One way to make sure you choose the right professional is to read the reviews and check before and after pictures of their clients but the most important thing is to have a consultation, even by phone, with your proposed artist to see if they understand your needs and are able to meet them. As with microblading and all other aesthetic and personal services, having good communication with your provider can greatly reduce any undesirable results. Lily the Pink in Los Angeles, offers a personalized and private microblading experience from one of the best brow artists in Los Angeles. Get stunning eyebrows at reasonable prices. Book your appointment today!